My other blog (in Hungarian) merhetetlen.blogspot.com

Saturday 18 May 2013

Gungans are everywhere

Maybe it is just me, but I often get annoyed by the dozens of gungans who appeared around me.... they are everywhere...

I am on a user's and dev's list of a testing tool and each and every day I see a post from a gungan... it is a safe bet that the post has been sent from a gungan when:

  • he sends his question to both list, he did not bother to read the purpose of the mailing lists, of course when someone tells him, not to do so, he appologies and promise to not do it again (it does not really matter, because someone else will do the some next day)
  • his question is
    • pointless, meaningless, I mean I am not an expert of the high galactic language but at least I try to describe my problem as simple and detailed as possible (true, not often perfect), but here you have to call a protocol droid to understand the message.
    • extremely generic, I mean so generic at the first time you think it is a joke
    • completely unrelated to the tool, so you guess he was just using that tool in a different window when that problem occurred in a completely different application in another window/screen/battle ship
    • unrelated to the tool, so the problem is with something what this tool is using and it is clear from the error message, or whatever
  • his email is
    • without details... so basically you have no idea what he is talking about, but he experienced something with that tool
    • has a lot of details... so you get the description of the problem, the log files, the content of his HDD, his mail history, all together is bigger than 1 petabyte.
    • has enough details but copy pasted to the mail with broken format, so no one can actually understand it (and sometimes the last two are combined)
  • his problem is
    • easily solvable, so if he read the error message, he could see (hopefully) what is the problem and how to solve it, because it explicitly tells him where is the problem, what to do, it is even gives a nice recipe for his date tomorrow....
    • already answered 10 billion times
    • can be solved after 20 second of galactic network searching...
  • his emails
    • are coming sequentially
      • in every half a day about the same problem, in the same thread 
      • in every day about the same problem in different thread
      • in every minutes about different "problems" in different threads (ok I know, at least it is a proper problem/thread usage)
I have asked a lot of stupid questions as well (and I will), but I always tried to find my answers before, I even tried to debug the application, sacrifice a wookie just to not ask, before I did so....

... and only a gungan can call himself in public as something like: Emperor certified jedi slayer professional after 2 mission happened on a deserted planet hunting scorpions...

No comments:

Post a Comment